Thursday, January 2, 2014

T-bone, Stew, Casserole & Fruit Trees

Meet the boys!!!
From left to right, T-bone, Stew & Casserole.
They were part of my Christmas present from my other half  (Bruce).
Since moving here, I have wanted to run a few cows steers, but the ground was so run down by the previous owners, that it took Bruce over a year to get it back to being able to run a few head of cattle.
Not being born "on the land", I personally call them "cows" much to Bruce's disgust.  Come on!, when you were learning about animals as a kid, you were taught that "cows" go "moo".. well these animals go "moo" so they are "cows"!
I am going out to them nearly every day on my quad, throwing them bread or fresh pumpkin leaves so they might learn to come to me over time.  They are about 6 months old and we will keep them for about 12 months, then sell them to the abattoirs..hence their names "T-bone, Stew & Casserole".
 The other part of my present were these fruit trees.  This is the Apricot tree...
and the following is the Peach tree.
Might seem a strange Christmas present, but when I was asked what I wanted for Christmas, I asked for these 2 fruit trees and the "cows"
 I am starting to have quite an orchard... they will join the fig, orange, lemon, green apple, red apple, mulberry, raspberry, elderberry trees.  The apple & citrus trees were here when we bought the place, and they too still need some TLC before they produce any fruit.

On another topic... don't forget the Australia Day Swap.. the taking of names closes on the 6th January.

Until next post...
Jewells

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are settling into the land very well. Why oh why are you selling the meat though/ You should be buying a bigger freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had some steers on agistment here some years ago. We named a couple of the "Barbecue" and "Sunday Roast". You have to keep things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! It remember asking for chook pens for our first Christmas when we moved to the country.......we have since moved from there and now only on 1/3acre. Your apricot tree will produce well with the same ones as we have here......very yummy!!! Love the cows......ummmmm steers....

    ReplyDelete